For many years, Tooele City had an ordinance in place that prohibited parking on any city street from November 1st to March 31st during the hours of 2:00 am to 6:00 am. In May of 2020, the Tooele City Council voted to change that ordinance so the time restriction is no longer in place.
Tooele City Code 10-3-6 now reads, “10-3-6. Snow Event Parking Restrictions”
(1) It shall be unlawful to park a vehicle on any public right-of-way:
(a) when snow is falling upon that vehicle; or,
(b) when snow or ice have accumulated in any amount on the right-of-way upon which that vehicle is parked.
(2) Any vehicle parked in violation of this Section may be removed at the discretion of the Tooele City Police Department for creating public safety risks and for obstructing the City’s snow removal efforts.
(3) The following are exempt from this Section:
(a) emergency vehicles and personnel in the performance of their functions and duties; and,
(b) Tooele City public works vehicles and employees in the performance of their functions and duties.
(4) A violation of this Section is punishable by a civil penalty of $100.
Please do not park on the street (or on the park strip or the sidewalk—they are also considered the right-of-way) when snow is falling or when snow or ice have accumulated. Please help snowplow drivers by keeping things like basketball hoops off the streets as well. Thank you!
ALSO KEEP IN MIND…
- Keep your driveway and walks clear so that firefighters, medics and postal workers can reach your house or business.
- Ensure all private roads are kept clear so fire apparatus and ambulances can reach your home.
- Remove all snow and ice adjacent to emergency exits, especially those exits that are infrequently used.
- Keep snow and ice cleared from outside stairs.
- If a major storm occurs, the fire hydrants nearest your home should be kept clear so that firefighters can readily locate and use them.
- Ensure your pets are kept safe and secure when outside temperatures are below freezing.
As the winter months approach, please do not blow or shovel your snow out onto the streets. Tooele City Code 4-11-15 (2) states: “It is unlawful for any person to place or propel, or cause to be placed or propelled, snow, ice, hail, or sleet in the public way or in any manner which poses a hazard to vehicular or pedestrian traffic.”
Please be courteous to your neighbors, do not blow leaves, snow, or other debris into their yards.