Administration Attorney Communities that Care Community Development / Public Works Economic Development Engineering Finance Fire Department Human Resources Library Parks & Recreation Police Department Recorder
My Account Renew My Items Downloadables Events & Programs at My Library About My Library Ask-a-Librarian Social Media
Select Page

Business Licensing

Business Licensing Specialist

90 North Main Street
Tooele, UT 84074

Phone: 435.843.2110
Fax: 435.843.2119

Hours:  Monday – Friday
8:00 am – 5:00 pm

How do I get a business license?

If you live in Tooele City, or have a business location in Tooele City, you must fill out a business license application.

Please bring with you the following paperwork:

  1. Business License Application
  2. Driver’s License  – the application needs to be notarized
  3. Proof of registration with the state of Utah (see “Where do I register my business name?)
  4. Your sales tax number (see “Where do I obtain a sales tax number?”


Who must license their business?

By law, all businesses are required to be licensed with the local municipality in which they are doing business. General standards exist for licensing, but each city and county also have unique requirements and procedures. It is best to contact the city or county office you live or will be working in to know the exact standards that are set for licensing. If you live in Tooele City, or want to do business in Tooele City, contact the Tooele City Business Licensing Specialist at (435) 843-2110 or

If you live in Stansbury, Lake Point, Erda or other unincorporated areas of Tooele County, you fall under Tooele County’s jurisdiction and would need to contact the Tooele County Clerk’s Office for business licensing at (435) 843-3140 or visit their website. If you live in a city other than Tooele, please contact that city about their licensing requirements. Thank you.


How long does it take to receive a business license?

Most general business licenses in the City can be issued within 3-4 business days unless a building permit is required.  If a building permit is required, then it could take longer depending on the work that is required to occupy the building/space.

A general “home occupation” (no public at the home) license would be approved by:

Building & Zoning (435.843.2132)

For Commercial Businesses (including food)/Industrial Businesses the license would be approved by:

Building & Zoning (435.843.2132)
Fire Department (if a Fire Inspection is needed the building Department will contact them)
Wastewater (435.882.1952)
Tooele County Health Department (435.277.2440). Required for some businesses: Food, Massage, Tattoo, Daycares.
How much does a business license cost?

Commercial Business License fee = $40.00, plus $3.00 for each employee (whether part time or full time)

Home Occupations, or Home-Based Businesses = No charge, if they do not impact the neighborhood

Non-Profit = No charge, if documentation of non-profit status is provided

Business Licenses must be renewed each year. Notices for renewal are sent out each December and must be renewed by the end of January each year.

Solicitors (Door-to-door) = $40 + $10 for each ID Badge (issued by the Business Licensing Specialist)

  • Proof of registration with the Utah State Department of Commerce: toll free 877.526.3994 or //;
  • Proof of valid Drivers License, passport, or ID Card;
  • Copy of Utah State criminal history (BCI or background check): (801) 965-4446 or 3888 West 5400 South Taylorsville, Utah.

Liquor/Beer license fee = $200 for first year & $100 to renew every year thereafter. You would also need to contact the Department of Alcohol Beverage Services (DABS) for approval: 801.977.6800 or 1625 South 900 West Salt Lake City, UT 84104

Where do I register my business name?

At the Utah State Division of Corporations and Commercial Code One Stop online Business Registration Website:

Division of Corporations and Commercial Code

801.530.4849 or toll free at 877.526.3994

Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code
160 East 300 South, 2nd Floor
Salt Lake City, Utah 84145-0801

There is a filing fee.

Businesses that are incorporated (limited liability company or limited partnership) must file incorporating or organizing articles. The fees vary. Please contact the Utah Division of Corporations.


Where do I obtain a sales tax number?

Contact the Utah State Tax Commission:


Utah State Tax Commission
210 North 1950 West
Salt Lake City, Utah 84134

Phone: 801.297.2200 or
Toll Free: 800.0662.4335
TDD: 801.297.2020
Fax: 801.297.7699
Hours: Monday–Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm

Site Shortcuts:   |