Tooele City Attorney
90 North Main Street
Tooele, UT 84074
Title 1. Chapter 6. Mayor
1-6-1. Mayor and mayor pro tem; vacancy.
(Ord. 2019-07, 04-03-2019) (Ord. 2012-11, 04-04-2012) (Ord. 1967-3, 08-14-1967)
(Ord. 1967-3, 08-14-1967)
(Ord. 2012-11, 04-04-2012) (Ord. 1967-3, 08-14-1967)
1-6-4. Powers generally.
(1) To appoint and dismiss from employment all persons employed by the City except for the city recorder or other employees appointed by the Council, and except as conditioned upon Council consent, both as provided by the Charter. All such appointments are to be made on the basis of fitness alone.
(2) To have direct supervision and responsibility over operations in the Finance Department, City Attorney’s Office, City Recorder’s Office, Human Resources Department, Police Department, Fire Department, City Hall, Community Development Department, Public Works Department, Parks and Recreation Department, and other administrative departments as may be created or amended from time to time. Included as a part thereof, the Mayor shall have direct supervision of the construction, improvements, repairs, and maintenance of streets, sidewalks, alleys, lanes, bridges, and other public highways; of sewers, drains, ditches, culverts, streams and water courses, and gutters and curbs; of all public buildings, boulevards, parks, playgrounds, squares, and other grounds and facilities belonging to the City; and the collection and disposal of waste materials.
(3) To care for and preserve all machinery, tools, appliances, facilities, and property belonging to the City.
(4) To oversee the issuing of building permits, the inspection of buildings, plumbing, and wiring, subject to uniform codes adopted by the City.
(5) To act as the purchasing agent for the City through an authorized designee, to see that city codes and purchasing policies are adhered to, to approve all claims against the City less the $20,000.00, and to see that all goods purchased by and for the City are received as per contract.
(6) To attend all meetings of the Council with the right to take part in the discussion but not to vote, except in case of a tie vote of the Council; to recommend to the Council for adoption such measures as the Mayor may deem necessary or expedient.
(7) To be the budget officer of the City and, in that capacity, to prepare the annual tentative budget (to be construed as a financial estimate only) and present it to the City Council by the first Wednesday in May, to prepare and present the annual final budget to the City Council as required by state law, and to keep the Council advised as to the financial condition and needs of the City.
(8) To perform such other duties as may be required by ordinance or resolution of the Council or otherwise allowed by the Charter or by State law.
(Ord. 2019-21, 09-04-2019) (Ord. 2019-07, 04-03- 2019) (Ord. 2012-11, 04-04-2012) (Ord. 1995-21, 01- 06-1996) (Ord. 1976-23, 11-11-1976) (Ord. 1967-3, 08- 14-1967)
(Ord. 2019-07, 04-03-2019) (Ord. 1967-3, 08-14-1967)
(Ord. 2019-07, 04-03-2019) (Ord. 2012-11, 04-04-2012); (Ord. 1994-56, 01-31-1995) (Ord. 1967-3, 08-14-1967)
1-6-7. Assistant to mayor. Repealed.
1-6-8. Appointments. Repealed.
1-6-9. Sign for city.
The Mayor shall sign contracts, leases, deeds, and other writings on the part of the City as authorized by resolution of the Council or as required by law. Notwithstanding, the Mayor shall have authority to sign contracts on the part of the City which are administrative in nature and which are for less than $20,000.00, without further City Council authorization.
(Ord. 2019-07, 04-03-2019) (Ord. 2012-11, 04-04-2012) (Ord. 2000-17, 08-16-2000) (Ord. 1967-3, 08-14-1967)
Click Here for a .pdf copy of Title1 Chapter6
Please Note: Every attempt has been made to keep this online Tooele City Code up-to-date; however, there may be discrepancies between this online code and that which is actually adopted. If you have questions about the Tooele City Code or for the most recent update, please call (435) 843-2120 or email email@example.com.