Tooele City Corporation
90 North Main Street
Tooele, UT 84074
Tooele City CARES Small Business Grant Program
We are no longer accepting applications. The application deadline for the second round of grant funding was Friday, October 30, 2020.
Tooele City is pleased to provide small business grants in an effort to assist businesses through the COVID-19 hardship. Small businesses are critical to the success of our local economy. The funds originate from the CARES Act fund approved by Congress and passed through the Utah Governor’s Office of Management and Budget. Tooele City has determined that these grant expenditures are necessary in response to the public health emergency. Funding will be made available to a limited number of businesses, with 50 FTEs (Full-Time Equivalent Employees) or less that meet specific requirements.
Applications will open on October 19, 2020 at 9:00AM and close on October 30, 2020 at 5:00PM. Funds will be disbursed until the funds are exhausted. Due to the anticipated number of submissions and limited funding, applications will be ranked based on predetermined priorities.
Grant Eligibility Requirements (ALL must apply):
1. Business must be a registered business in Tooele City with an active business license as of April 1, 2019.
2. Business must be current on property taxes through April 1, 2020, if the business owns property or the owner’s residence for a home business.
3. Business must be located in Tooele City.
4. Business incurred a financial loss or business expenses related to COVID-19 of at least $1,000 between April 1 and June 30, 2020.
5. Business must operate with less than 50 FTEs. FTE is a full-time equivalent and not necessarily each employee, part-time employees may be converted to FTEs.
6. Business is not a publicly traded company. Exception given for a franchise owner with a business that is locally owned.
7. Business must be open, or plan to reopen, as of the date of application submission.
8. Owner must be 18 years or older and have a valid EIN or Social Security Number if a Sole Proprietor.
9. Business owners must be able to provide required documentation.
10. Incomplete applications will not be eligible.
Funds are provided as a grant. Repayment is only required if a duplication of benefits has occurred. Businesses may not receive federally-subsidized disaster assistance that duplicates any part of their disaster loss covered by insurance or another source, such as the Small Business Administration (SBA) programs (PPP and EIDL), the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and state programs (Commercial Rental Assistance). Applicants for the Tooele City CARES Small Business Grant Program must disclose any funds applied for or received from these sources or other federal, state, or local assistance programs. It is the City’s sole discretion to determine if funds received from any of these sources constitutes a duplication of benefits.
Eligible Use of Funds
Grant money may be used to pay for operating expenses related to COVID-19:
• Business Rent or Mortgage
Grant money may also be used for additional COVID-related expenses including:
• Expenses related to business premises modifications to promote social distancing.
• Expenses related to continuing business operations from home or online.
• Expenses related to business premises modifications to protect employees or customers, such as barriers, distancing signs, hand sanitization centers, etc.
• Expenses related to protective gear and sanitization such as masks, hand sanitizer, and disinfectant, including increased costs for utilizing these items.
• Other expenses that are business-related and would not have been necessary if not for the COVID-19 pandemic.
The following documents are required for each application:
• 1st Quarter of 2019 Profit and Loss Statement*
• 2nd Quarter of 2019 Profit and Loss Statement*
• 1st Quarter of 2020 Profit and Loss Statement*
• 2nd Quarter of 2020 Profit and Loss Statement*
• Copy of Driver’s Licenses of all owners
• Copy of Business License
*If you do not have the required Profit and Loss Statements on hand, a template is available on our website www.tooelecity.org. Profit and Loss Statements must be submitted by individual quarters (ex: one statement for January through March and one statement for April through June), not as one single statement that includes both quarters together (January through June). If the business was not in operation during 1st quarter 2019, a P&L statement is not required for that quarter.
Tooele City reserves the right to request additional documentation related to the application or the P&L statement.
Grant Funding Prioritization
It is anticipated that there will be more funding requests than money available for the Tooele City CARES Small Business Grant Program. The City will review and rank applications to prioritize disbursement of the funds. The applications will be ranked according to the following priorities:
1. Businesses that were unable to practice safe social distancing and needed to close, in accordance with state and local guidance (e.g. personal services, gyms, spas, etc.) or businesses that voluntarily closed or partially closed to promote social distancing measures, in accordance with state and local guidance.
2. Businesses with an average monthly revenue/income loss greater than 50% due to COVID-19.
3. Businesses that have been open for at least two years.
4. Businesses that did not receive any other federally-subsidized disaster assistance such as the Small Business Administration (SBA) programs (PPP and EIDL), the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), state programs (Commercial Rental Assistance), or local funding.
5. Businesses with a storefront location.
* These prioritizations are not mandatory. Businesses that do not meet all of the priorities are still eligible to receive a grant award.
Grant Request: $1,000 to $10,000
Grant Submission Deadline: October 30, 2020; 5:00PM MST
Applications can be submitted online at www.tooelecity.org, or will be accepted by email at email@example.com or in person at Tooele City Hall, 90 North Main Street, Tooele, Utah 84074.
Applications will be reviewed by representatives of the Tooele City CARES Small Business Grant Program. Businesses will be notified by email of the grant award status. Checks will be issued and mailed to the business address on the application within two weeks of the grant award.
The grant award amount and recipient business name are subject to public record laws.
If you have questions, contact:
Shannon Wimmer, Tooele City Finance Director
Tooele City Hall
90 North Main Street
Tooele, UT 84074
Businesses needing technical assistance with the Tooele City CARES Small Business Grant Program can call (435) 843-2104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.