April 22, 2020 all-day
- Purchase non-toxic cleaning products. Use natural fiber sponges and cleaning agents that are biodegradable, phosphate-free, chlorine-free and unscented.
- Reduce paper use. Use rags instead of paper towels; cloth napkins instead of paper ones. Buy post-consumer recycled paper and recycle it when you’ve used it.
- Refurbish responsibly. Use water-based or vegetable-based paints, stains, and varnishes. Don’t wash paint thinners, household cleaners, oil or pesticides down the drain or pour them on the ground; use them up, give leftovers to friends or a charity, or dispose at your local toxic waste disposal center.
- Repair instead of replace. Reupholster furniture. Resole your shoes.
- Replace disposable goods with renewable ones. Buy rechargeable batteries. Use dishes instead of paper plates.
- Plant for the planet. Strengthen your garden’s resistance to pests by planting resilient plants, by rotating the fruits and vegetables you plant, and by attracting friendly bugs to prey on the pesky ones.
(Source: http://usgbc-fgc.org/earthday via http://www.earthshare.org/)